Friday was my whirlwind social day, after being a hermit for the better part of the week, I had a jam packed day.
First there was lunch with my sensei.
I’ve never been particularly close to sensei M (Madame M to the uninitiated), taking a more voyeuristic approach in getting to know her by reading her blog (the inspiration for my own).
Still, the last two times I’ve seen her, I’ve come away realizing how much I enjoy her company. Lunch was mainly an exercise in conversation while walking among the windy (and chilly) streets before and after waiting on a long soup line at the infamous Soup Nazi’s stand. Even I was surprised by how long the line was but, the soup was good and so was the conversation.
Madame M toils away at one of my previous places of employment and of course it was one of the subjects that our chat touched on. It’s always interesting to get someone else’s take on a situation, if only to find out how their experience differs or is similar to your own.
I got a chance to briefly visit my former haunts.
I was struck at how odd it always is to revisit the places one has worked. It is at once a both familiar and alien experience. Familiar in the surroundings and alien in the changes that have occurred since you’ve been there. There’s also this weird feeling of being something of an outsider (or maybe pariah) now that you’re no longer there.
You’ve left!
You’re no longer part of the drama of the everyday existence of the workplace! Because, of course, work is so, so important.
It’s how we define ourselves today. (typing never accurately conveys the dripping sarcasm of the statement)
I have to laugh at it. I walked into the place and truth be told, wasn’t really affected one way or the other, no sadness, no great joy either. It was just interesting watching the worker ants toil away until the next flood comes and washes everything away - time is good in that it gives you perspective.
I realized also, I’m not fond of the stupidity and desperation of the workplace. The jockeying that goes on or the struggle for power.
Fortunately, I get the sense Sensei M is not so fond of it either and that’s a comforting thing to be sure.
Afterward, I got a chance to finally see Kill Bill.
Another thing I am thankful for in regard to my current situation is that I can indulge myself by taking in an afternoon film with a friend. The movie was pretty good - I wouldn’t say it was overwhelming (it actually was kind of all over the place in terms of story structure) but, there was still a lot of interesting things going on.
I really like the opening in the House of Blue Leaves, the music is almost enough to make me check out the soundtrack album. I also was impressed with some of the choices Quentin Tarantino made shooting the sequence in black and white or blue to downplay the goriness.
The truth is though, Tarantino’s masterpiece was Pulp Fiction and he may never make another movie that matches it. Watching Kill Bill made me think of Spike Lee’s 25th Hour starring Ed Norton which didn’t get the promotion but was one of the most beautifully shot movies I’ve seen this year (and worth checking out).
After the movie and coffee it was out with Irene for a wedding rehearsal dinner with friends of hers. Really nice people and the groom was another mad e-bayer, lots to chat about.
No comments:
Post a Comment